Remembering Geetaji



Remembering Geeta Iyengar on the first year anniversary of her passing...

My first encounter with Geetaji was at Guruji’s 80th Birthday. It was my first time in India, and actually my first time traveling by myself without my family. I was very much a beginner, and had never heard of her. I had only heard about BKS Iyengar.

On the first day, I was in the back of the class, and for those of you that were there, you may remember the venue was put together last minute because of flooding at the original venue. The yoga hall was built beautifully on the grounds of a place named Ambrosia. My mat ended up on an uneven surface caused by the root of a tree. Guruji was teaching Tadasana, and he said something about the foot I didn’t understand, so I stood up on my tippy toes to get a glimpse of the screen, which I could barely see above the tall man’s head in front of me. While I was on my toes, Geeta caught me.

I quickly learned that in this place you are being watched ALL the time. I also learned that there is no time for explanations and discussions. She yelled at me, “Stand in Tadasana, HE said, we don’t just stand casually like that.” I quickly went back to stand on the uneven root without questioning her.

On numerous occasions, I summoned the courage to ask her questions. Some very personal questions about my practice as a woman. She always answered them clearly, and guided me in the right direction. I was grateful when she told us what to do with our curves, especially our pumpkins. She was gentle with me when the class was doing Sirsasana variations and I had to come down because of hot flashes. 

On one of my conversations with Geetaji, I told her that I had actually studied with her more times than I had with Guruji. And as a woman, she was my role model, and I was very grateful to her. She smiled and poured so much love from her eyes into mine. 

I asked her how I could prevent political problems from arising in a new community that was being formed in another country. She looked at me, and said, people are always coming to me and asking what poses to practice to prevent cancer. It is just not possible to know. Don’t worry. Just teach them good asana, pranayama, and the philosophy of Patanjali. That’s all you can do.

As I reflect on my narrative about Geetaji, I am grateful to see the evolution of the realization of the power of a woman. Through Guruji’s work, supported by his wife , Ramamani, then later on Guruji supporting Geeta’s contributions. In these times, this is important to note. Having witnessed Geetaji sharing every last drop of knowledge that she had with Abhijata and others, I am humbled to see so much healing that has taken place because of her role in this world. I am also so touched and hopeful to see the continuation of her work, supported by Prashant and Abhijata. Thank you to all the men that observed and learned in Geetaji Women’s classes, and thank you to Abhijata’s husband and family for giving her the support and love for the continuation of this beautiful garden. 

Thank you Geeta, for giving me strength.
Thank you Geeta, for giving me courage.
Thank you Geeta, for making me honest.
Thank you Geeta for teaching me how to look at myself instead of others.

Now, it is up to us not to keep what she has given us, but to share it selflessly with others, just like she did. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Iyengar Yoga

Iyengar Yoga Certification Assessment

Day 2 RIMYI Teachers Programme Pune, India